One outa three.



The last morning of the week, while drinking coffee and watching the news before work, the peace of the morning was interrupted by coyote yelps. I opened the back door and shinned my small pocket flashlight in the direction of the yelps and lip squeaked. I immediately pick up three set of eyes out in the pasture that butts up to our yard. I also see a few cows in the corner.

I run get rifle and a better light but the cunning critters are long gone when I return.

I assume they were after a couple of young calves in the group in the corner.

So my plan was to hit my cousin’s place just behind ours again Friday morning.

Well of course the wind wasn’t right come Friday so I adjusted.

So I went to a new spot I had only called once before and called in a double.

The recent weeks of bad weather had several large limbs down on the two track access to the property. So after clearing the path I was arriving to the area I had picked out to call a bit later then I had wanted.

The sun is not clear of the horizon but first light beat me to the stand.

With the wind out of the southwest I set up on the north end of this field under a giant old oak tree. With my late arrival the large limbs of the oak will provide the perfect concealment in their shadows.

I get the call and decoy out and wait a few minutes for the cows at the south end of the field to forget about me.

Since I witnessed, what I thought was an organised hunt the morning before, I started off the set with a jack distress on my Double Fang cut diaphragm from Reese Outdoors instead of the current chart topper, Pup Distress.. I give about a minute of bunny blues at a lower volume at first. After 2 or 3 minutes of scanning I let go with another sequence increasing in both volume and intensity.

After the second sequence I manage to get the attention of a couple of crows who seem to think my jack distress sounds similar to a crow distress. They head my way and for my own entertainment I let out a couple of crow calls with my voice. Well I am not exactly sure what I said but those two crows and about a dozen of their friends didn’t like it much. They swarmed the great oak I was under and did a few flybys on the MOJO Critter. This was all fine by me because we all know the crow is like the sentry of the woods. If they are around all is good.


So as the crows figure out their presence is not needed I refocus on my distress calls.

After another sequence and now about 12 minutes into the stand I catch movement on the south end of the field by the cows. It’s a coyote and it is headed my way. Then I see another one. And then another. Three coyotes spaced about 20-30 yards apart and all heading north.

The first one looks like a 6 month old pup as it is small and lanky. They are heading to the North West which is to my right and the way I walked in.

I turn the e-call on low to get their attention. The largest of the three, the last one, stops about 175 yards out as the two juvenile looking coyotes continue on.

I figure I will drop the bit more leery & larger coyote in the rear and just maybe get a shot at another before they make it to cover.

I sent a round, and it finds its mark and the coyote immediately starts a fur cyclone. I quickly work the action to get try a shot on the others and in the excitement I short stroke the action and fail to clear the spent brass.

I likely would not have got another shot off anyways as the first to go straight west to the closest cover instead of returning across the field. But I would have liked to have tried.

As I clear the brass the coyote I shot does its final spin and heads back east across the field.

I settle the cross hairs about its nose and send another. Be drops in his tracks.

WAAHOOO. A running shot.

So what if it wounded, he was still getting it.

It was another average male weighing in at 36lbs 12oz and didn’t have any noticeable tooth wear.


I let out a few ki-yis before leaving the stand to get a shot at one of the others but got no response.

I made two other stands but called in nothing but two hawks that could not decide if the wanted to take my critter or not.

They finally decide to leave it.

All in all, it was a good day